Monday, October 18, 2010

When dreams die ....

Sunshine Girl did something for the first time 2 weeks ago. She auditioned ("tried out") for a part in the church Christmas Cantada, Peanut Butter Christmas. Yep, I was surprised, but I really should not have been. You see, she is the type that will try just about anything once.

Anyway, she was SO excited about the possibility of saying lines in the play. Of course, I said all of the motherly things like, "Oh, I'm so proud of you for trying out." and "Just remember that only one person will get the part and don't be too upset if it's not your turn this year" and "If you did your best, that is all you can do." Of course, deep down, I wondered how my little girl did when it was her turn. (Did you use a lot of expression in your voice? Did you FEEL the part? Were you enthusiastic?) Of course, I asked all the other questions like, "Who else tried out?", "How many girl parts are there?", and "Do you really think that would be fun to do?"

She was so excited to go to church on Sunday night, " 'cause we find out who got the parts tonight." Well, I already knew it wasn't her (due to the note in the church bulletin), but I thought it may have been best to let her find that out for herself. Her dad thought otherwise and told her in the car on the way to church that evening. Talk about taking the wind out of her sails. :( Of course, my mommy heart hurt for her, especially when she said, "Nothing ever works out right for me. I never get to do anything special. What's the point of being in a cantada if you can't say anything?"

How to cheer a disappointed little girl and yet help her realize that this will be just the first of many disappointments in life without making life seem so dreary???? When what I really wanted to do was go in there and demand a rematch!! :) *Not really!* (But you get the idea). Mommys are supposed to defend their little girls, right? Unfortunately, at the time she found out that her "dream" had died, I could not turn around and hug the hurt away.
About all I could do is tell her to keep trying and to sing the songs to the best of her ability.

My little Sunshine Girl is growing up. She didn't need the mommy hug to make it all better. All she needed was to hear that I was proud of her for trying, a few minutes to absorb the disappointment, and another practice round during church ... and she was off smiling and playing as usual! :) Whew! Round one is over! Sunshine Girl has won!

No comments:

Post a Comment